Wednesday, May 13, 2020

To God Be the Glory






   I was listening to an old Russian hymn, О, Если б Навеки, and the tune became embedded in my mind.  Soon, I was imagining English words or maybe an existing English hymn fitted to the tune.  Next thing I knew I heard Fanny J. Crosby's old classic working it's way into the meter.  It works—almost.  In addition to Fanny's hymn having a chorus, the syllables of the verses are 11.11.11.11.  This tune, however, is 11.10.11.10.  Thus the second and fourth lines needed to be trimmed by one syllable.  Mission accomplished.

I like the new take on an old classic.  I like the bright sounds (in spite of a minor key) and the emphasis the music places on the last three syllables of the second & fourth lines.

Note: This was my first attempt to record over the internet with smart phones—Piano in one town and the Soprano in another, then mixing the two together.



To God be the glory, great things He has done!
So loved He the world that He gave His Son,
Who yielded His life an atonement for sin,
And opened the life-gate to bring us in.

O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood!
To ev'ry believer the pledge of God:
The vilest offender who truly believes,
That moment forgiveness from Christ receives.

Great things He has taught us, great things He has done,
And great our rejoicing through Christ the Son;
But purer and higher and greater will be
Our wonder, our transport when Christ we see!

O praise God, O praise Him! Let earth hear His voice!
Now praise ye the Lord, let His flock rejoice!
O come to the Father through Jesus the Son,
And give Him the glory for great things done!



5 comments:

  1. The two melded together quite successfully! Our kids listening in the other room were humming along by the end of the song. Great and fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, David. ...The only problem is that I keep hearing the lyrics the Simon used to this tune. ha! (I'm sure you'll have it somewhere at your blog. :) Thanks for posting all your endeavors.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bH2vqzT29k&list=PL1NMQ1lHuiRWwkVNj06CVZR4DUH6dW6qo&index=23

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I hear the Old Russian Hymn too.
      And, yes, I have that old hymn (О, Если б Навеки) translated word for word as while as poetic to fit the music. Really a nice hymn!

      Delete