Tuesday, June 23, 2015

I Heard an Eagle Cry Today

I heard an eagle cry today,
   high, haunting and insistent.
I looked and there above me,
   nestled amidst the cradle of sky and sun,
   a solitary form glided overhead.

I stared and strained to follow his path,
   Bright shimmering sun dogs and tree tops obscuring my sight.
Again he cried; again I spied and followed his course on wimpled wing.
   Again he turned; again he spurned and rebuffed the wind with pinion, talon and call;
   majestically graced and poised and balanced
   above the ground-bound, sodden-encumbered cares of earth.

I glanced around and saw the sunlight shadow-playing on the grass,
   the sessile inhabitants of lunch-time-egress lay and lay in turgid stupor
   or catatonic relaxation, unmoved by Day Sky’s rider or his call.

I heard the eagle cry today,
   high, haunting and insistent;
   yet not so insistent, for I turned.
Turned and retreated back into my office,
   my lair, my care, my shell,
   for the pressing insistences of the immediate and the urgent called me too.
Yet in hiding my soul stirred
   —ah, patience! my captive heart!
   For soon with obedience and discipline shall come forth
   the mastery and the reward so that you shall go not,
   like quarry-slave at night,
   but brought with honor into your Father’s home!

- D. Benning

No comments:

Post a Comment