Friday, June 26, 2015

A New Psalm 119, part 2

More than 3000 years ago, David penned his epic psalm praising God's Law in an acrostic psalm.  What if we should update it to be an English language acrostic psalm?  This is the second part of three that explores what it might sound like if David had written his psalm in English in the middle of the 21st Century.





Just and right are all your commands;
   they show me what is right and good in your sight.
Jesus ever lives to intercede for His people;
   I love Him and obey His commandments.
Jehovah, the self-sufficient eternal God,
   reveals His majesty and beauty in all His Law.
Jewels there may be without number,
   but the Word of the Lord is more valuable then them all.
Jealously the Lord protects His honor and His name;
   He will not hold guiltless those that break His law.
Justice will roll on like a mighty river,
   for His law is eternal and ever new.
Judgment awaits those who transgress your commandments;
   mercy is given to those who turn and repent.
Joy unspeakable and full of glory is mine by your Spirit
   as I contemplate all your marvelous precepts.

Knowledge of your Word leads me to wisdom;
   let me rejoice in your truth which is life.
Kneeling before your commands I see your truth;
   life and light are there for those who humbly follow your ways.
Kiss the Son lest He be angry;
   His laws are emblazoned across His universe.
Kings and rulers will all bow before Him;
   He is the supreme Lord who makes His commands.
Kingdoms and all dominions will fall before your throne,
   for your laws are perfect and unalterable.
Keys of your kingdom are given to those,
   those who walk according to your ordinances.
Kinsman-redeemer, loving Liege of Light,
   your precepts are my life and my salvation.
Knowing your Laws bring light to my eyes;
   because your love is everlasting I will praise you!

Loving Lord, you gave life to me;
   I am able to love at all because you gave your love and your law.
Laboring in your fields I feel fulfilled by your law;
   teach me to love your ways as most important to my life.
Lamb of God, slain from before the world began,
   let me love your commands and your ways.
Language fails me in expressing the wonders of your law;
   most beautiful and exquisite it is and without equal!
Lands and dominions belong unto your name,
   for your are the mighty ruler and giver of all laws.
Language fail me in my quest to praise your awesome name;
    marvelous are your deeds and that my soul know right well.
Light and life are from your hand;
    your commandments give life unto my soul.
Lowly I approach your Throne of Grace,
    but mercifully you respond with grace and love.

More of your beauty would I see, O Lord;
    help me understand your precepts ever more clearly.
Most marvelous and awesome is all your creation,
    but in your law do I see you most distinctly.
Matchless is your manifold wisdom, O my God,
    that reveals itself to those who study your Word.
Men and women were created to bring you glory;
    how better than learning and obeying your decrees?
Mockers decry your law as outdated and useless;
    but enthroned in heaven you have installed your King.
Morning breaks and shines its golden light;
    let your Word shine upon my heart to light my way.
Mysterious are all the secret councils of your will;
    yet you have disclosed your thoughts to us in your commands.
Make my heart delight in your ordinances, O gracious Lord,
    then my way will be filled with your joy and peace.

New songs of praise are due your awesome Name
    for the wonders of your marvelous Law.
Narrow is the way that leads to eternal life;
    your precepts carefully define this way.
Noah found grace in your righteous eyes
    for he did right and held your laws in high regard.
Nothing in this world holds desire for me
    except you and what I find in your Word.
Nature displays the infinite wisdom of your marvelous council;
    all things work according to your steadfast laws.
Needy am I, O Righteous Lord;
    your Law shows me my need of a mighty savior.
No blood of bulls nor goats could atone
    for breaking the least of your commandments.
Name above all other names I trust;
    he shall save me from the law's dread curse.

Obedience is due unto all your statutes;
    with majestic wisdom you ordain each one.
Obligated to your ordinances are all your creatures;
    with love and grace you rule your kingdom.
Oaths of obedience unto your law are fitting;
    blessed is the one sworn to his own hurt.
Obey the Lord with great love and joy;
    His Laws immediately and exactly follow.
Offerings of praise await your Name, O Lord;
    Marvelous are all the treasures within your commands.
Ordinances you made for the children of men;
    you rule with absolute sovereignty and wisdom.
Overflowing with joy am I because of your great love;
    In your Word I see all your abundant provisions.
Offspring shall hear of your righteous laws;
    the next generation will praise your mighty deeds.

Praise the Lord, all you His people!
    his precepts are good and point the way to life.
Perfect peace will you give the one who trusts,
    trusts in you and your enduring commands.
Pagans run after things of this world;
    in your law are all the words of life.
Pain I had when I wandered from your ways;
    but pleasures are at your right hand obeying.
Passover showed the severe consequence of disobeying your word;
    proclaimed also your rich mercy to those who believe.
Pearls of great price and treasures in a field—
    I would forsake them all to obtain the riches of your law.
Power and authority, wisdom and might are seen within your precepts;
    teach me to study your matchless ways.
Purify your servant according to your Word;
    your Word, O Lord, is truth.

Quiet my heart, O Lord,
   for in your Law there is security.
Quell my fears with your love;
   your commands are my delight.
Queens and kings may be arrayed in pomp,
   but I delight in the riches of your royal decrees.
Questions cloud my mind
   when I stray far from your ordinances.
Quoting your Law each day
   enlivens my heart and enlightens my path.
Quicken my heart and mind, O Lord;
   your commands give life to your servant.
Quickly come to my aid, O God,
   for I am needy and rejoice in your commands.
Quicksand and ruin are reserved
   for those who despise your gracious Law.

- D. Benning

No comments:

Post a Comment