Saturday, June 2, 2018

'Twas Grace

'Twas Grace that kept me safe all days,
   And Grace that blocked my paths with thorns;
Grace sought me with a steadied gaze;
   Grace spoke to me my heart to warn.

In pride I tried to climb the heights,
   To reach for honor, fame and pow'r;
But Grace in mercy blocked my flights,
   And undercut my Babel Tow'r.

Then Grace in mercy dealt its blow,
   Its cunning cut that heralded cure:
With plans in ruins and joys now woe,
   I finally saw a hope so sure.

'Tis Grace that leads me down from heights,
   A barren crag and lifeless place;
For blessings come midst radiant lights
   That on the humble shines His Face.

For Grace has taught my heart to love,
   Since nothing good in me I know;
All blessings come from Him Above
   And flow to those who bend most low.

- D. Benning
 

No comments:

Post a Comment