Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The Watchers, Chapter 1

Chapter One
Invisibility
copyright 2017, David Benning

I grew up in a variety of houses. The one common thread among each was my love for hiding. From my earliest memories, I was hiding under the bed, behind the sofa, then exploring nooks and crannies in various rooms. One house we lived in had an attic that was relatively easy to enter. I believe I was about nine years old when I followed my dad up those old, narrow steps and found the dark and dusty space above our ceiling. I was enthralled! I immediately began planning how to turn a corner of this magical space into my own private kingdom where I could pursue the other love of my young life: reading.
We stayed in that house about four years; during that time I nurtured my imagination by reading all sorts of comic books then SciFi adventure stories and finally some of the books that my dad had in his collection. That bookshelf was a very pretty bookshelf. Dad commented on the beauty of the oak grain and the precision of the workmanship. Mom agreed which is why she let him keep it in the living room as nearly the first thing seen when walking in the front door.
I don't think that Dad had read those books in a very long time. When I actually became curious and pulled out a copy of H. G. Wells' The Invisible Man, I was surprised at how much dust had collected on the top of the book and on the shelf behind it. I quickly blew off the layers that time had deposited then retreated with the book up to my well-furnished reading alcove, high above the ceiling and far out of sight from anyone else.
A couple of days later Dad asked me about the missing book and I told him I had almost finished it. He surprised me by asking key questions about the plot and the characters, proving that he really had read the book at some point in his life. I often was surprised by what information he kept in his mind.
Unfortunately we moved soon after that—moved several times, actually—but those early events provided a counter theme to the reality that pressed itself in on nearly every waking moment of the modern, civilized human. Watchers. Our society had grown to desire safety and protection so much that those in control fostered the belief that the only way to have complete, or nearly complete, safety would be to have surveillance at nearly ever point in the public space. Thus we had video cameras recording activity; but because that became labor-intensive to have a human watch all of it, they figured out how to have a computer scan the feed of hundreds of video inputs: scanning for certain behaviors, scanning for faces then logging where everyone was and what direction they were going and with whom they traveled and what packages were with the person. The next step in monitoring the populace was to install radio chip detectors to sense what RFIDs were going by. People weren't “tagged,” per se, but most everybody had a driver's license or a bank card to access their funds or an identification card for their school or place of employment. It was very easy to quietly add this monitoring capability to the suite of our benevolent government's Watcher programs.
Of course, the government had special sounding names to point out the good side to their intrusive watching: names like “Crime Prevention Algorithms” or “Early Warning Heuristics” or even “Neighborhood Protection Plan.” It was the folks on the street that called them “The Watchers” but never too loudly. I heard an old man at the corner market—the type of man who liked to throw around big words to impress and to bolster his opinion. He muttered something about the “stupid Watchers” then added loudly, “They're ubiquitous, I tell ya'! They're spying on my coffee now!”
I went home and looked that word up.
I also remember that I never saw that man again. It was just another reminder to play the government's game the way they wanted you to play. Don't rock the boat, just blend in or hide.
I chose hiding.
Not that I could really hide, but by laying low and not attracting attention to myself, I tried to stay off the radar and just live my life my own way. It was far easier than truly being invisible.
Of course, fantasies about developing an invisibility cloak still colored my imagination. I replayed the H. G. Wells story a thousand times in my head and thought how the main character, Griffin, might have pulled off his plan if he had merely made a suit to wear that was invisible instead of turning himself into a one-man freak show.
In my last year of high school we had to read another story about an invisible man: Ralph Ellison's “Invisible Man.” But this book was social commentary on the plight of the minority. Not that he was really invisible, but people chose not to see him, rendering him practically invisible. Exactly the opposite problem that we had in our society. I brought that point up in the class discussion and the teacher looked a little alarmed at my connection. She quickly gave the assignment and suddenly we weren't discussing that book anymore. I wondered if I was going to be made “invisible” like that old man in the corner market some years before. I watched my back as well as my “Ps and Qs” but it seemed that nothing came of it.
There was, however, one image from that book that I liked. At the end, the narrator talked about decorating his room with hundreds of lights; I thought, “How cool would that be!” The closest that I was able to get to that was a number of years later when I had a small room of my own and I decorated it with almost fifteen hundred miniature holiday lights—about half white, with other colors that I could control to have my very own form of mood lighting.
Anyway, I went off to college in a neighboring state so I didn't come back home except for the big holidays. During my time at college, there came a subtle shift in my parent's attitude toward each other. No, Dad didn't desert or anything, but there was what I've heard described as the trauma of empty-nesters. In the midst of their trying to come to grips with how to relate to each other without their only child, Dad died in a traffic accident. I didn't find out till over a day later since I was in the midst of finals and had turned my phone off, forgot to check it and then it ran out of battery.
I mention my parent's problem only to partly explain why Mom became more bitter and much harder to please. I was now torn between the filial duty to help Mom and the strong desire to leave and do my own thing without her bitterness haunting everything I did. Little Janie Raincloud would have been a good moniker for her if I had thought about it and didn't mind stirring up trouble. But I stirred up enough trouble by moving out entirely. She gave me the withering glare of disapproval and the silent treatment of guilt peppered with random slights of annoyance here and there. All it did was make me ever the more happy to be out from under her glare.
Yet the Watchers continued their surveillance, monitoring my coming and going, charting my progress in becoming a functional and productive adult. I spoke to Mom on occasions and sent her a greeting on her birthday, yet I never told her how things were going with me. At least nothing deep or personal. But she seemed to know. I wondered how much of it was because she was connected to the Watchers programs or people who had an inside track into that data set. I didn't want to give any thought to the reality of a mother's insight into her child. No, for me, at that point in my life, it was far easier to believe that the Watchers somehow fed her direct information on what I was doing—even though she never had specifics, just generalities which were far too close to the truth for my comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment