Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Road Rolled Out Before Me

South Bank at Humber, by N J Lunn Photography
The road rolled out before me,
  the blue sky decked with clouds,
The green, green earth a-fore me,
  as I race my cycle proud!

Down the lane and past old trees,
  down the vacant roadway passage;
Distant birds sang loud whilst the breeze
  whispered me its message.
 
       Down, down, down...
         slow, slow, slow...
            turn, turn turn...
                listen to the heartbeat.
        
The heartbeat!
  Yes, I know that sure;
     I know the calling of my heartbeat.
The call of long
  forgotten roads
     and a longing that would entreat!

Ah, yes, here I ride, and here I wend,
   and here I joy with rapture;
And here I ride and here I bend
    my heart to nature captured!

- D. Benning

1 comment: