Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Law Expressed in Love

The law expressed in love,
   My acts adduce delight;
Commands came from Above,
   Crowned in holy light.

It's not strange to see then
   Christ summarize His Rule:
Love God the most then all men—
   Prize this as a precious jewel.

To obey is better than sacrifice,
   My worship set with pious zeal
Sees Calv'ry as Redemption's price
   And obedience as its righteous seal.

He fashioned one from many,
   Gave gifts to build His Church;
Let not sin nor hate nor envy
   Divide, destroy or smirch.

I live in Christ and He in me,
   And with His strength I labor;
Looking then toward eternity,
   In love I help my neighbor.

- D. Benning


“We conclude, therefore, that a Christian lives not in himself, but in Christ and the neighbor,” said Luther. “He lives in Christ through faith, and in his neighbor through love”
(Freedom of a Christian, LW 31:371).




I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called,  with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,  eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 
Eph 4:1 - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment