Friday, May 27, 2016

The Thoughts of God

How precious to me are your thoughts, God! 
How vast is the sum of them!
~Psalm 139:17


A sobering thought.  Do I treasure God's thoughts?  Do I consider what He thinks and says as my highest delight?  Paul might have had this verse in mind when he began his doxology of Romans 11:33-36
Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments,
and his paths beyond tracing out!
Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counselor?”
“Who has ever given to God,
that God should repay them?”
For from him and through him and for him are all things.
To him be the glory forever!
Amen.
On one hand how can any mortal begin to understand God's thoughts.  They are higher then the heavens and unsearchable.  His "foolishness" is far wiser than our best and most lofty effort. 

Yet God reveals some of His thoughts to us.  They are in this Book called the Bible.  Do I hold this in high regard?  Do I make it my treasure and the source of my inspiration?  And Paul writes that we have the mind of Christ (1 Cor. 2:16).  That is amazing.  And we have the Spirit who indwells us.

This should affect us throughout the day.  This should motivate us.  Our goal should be to think God's thoughts after Him.  Why?  If God is most pure and perfect and good, then His thoughts will be so also.  And since He has made known to us some of these thoughts, the most pure and perfect and good thoughts that I could possibly think would be to think upon what God has already thought.

It is the height of arrogance and overweening pride to think that on my own I could come up with a thought that is better than God's.  He's infinite!  He's already thought it!

This should also drive us to greater humility as well as greater thanksgiving since the content of His thoughts toward us are love and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment