Thursday, July 9, 2015

Wings of Flight




The inspiration for this poem came from my appreciation of George Herbert's poem of a similar title: "Easter Wings." (Click the title to view his poem.)

So one evening, I was contemplating his poem and wondering if it could be set to music.  I couldn't do it.  I couldn't accommodate the various syllabifications and varying accents within the two verses.  So I toyed with writing my own poem based on his structure.

That worked.  It worked very well.

But there it sat.  For fifteen years.  Until I had the opportunity to arrange it four four female voices and record it.  You can find a recording of this song here.
Direct link to the mp3 here.




Wings of Flight

Sov'reign Creator of the rolling spheres,
Foolishly we have gone astray:
Decaying more till fears
Are all our days
And years.
With Thee
I long to rest
From sin's dread tyranny
And lean my soul upon Thy breast.
Vanquishing fear Thy rest is flight to me.

O Lord, from birth my life hast always been
Filled with affliction, grief and care;
Looking for life in sin
But nothing there
Again.
But see!
Thy love hast borne
For me a guarantee
Of Life in Thine eternal morn.
Thy Love for me hast put the flight in me.

Thy Love and Grace hast risen in my soul,
Risen with healing in Thy wings.
Father of Lights, control
So from me springs
Thy goal.
From Thee
How could I haste?
Where could I go or be?
Thy Words alone my life have graced.
Capture my heart and set Thy flight in me.

How soon shall time dissolve and fly away,
Carrying Thy sons away to Thee?
Risen then shall this clay
No longer be
Astray.
To Thee
I then shall fly
And taste Thy victory
And all my longings satisfy.
Then shall Thy Cross be wings of flight to me.
 
- D. Benning



No comments:

Post a Comment